Monday, December 7, 2009

An Amish Christmas

An Amish Christmas by Beth Wiseman, Kathleen Fuller, and Barbara Cameron. When I initially signed up to read this book I really wasn't expecting much from it. Honestly I figured how interesting could a book about Amish people be? I'm happy to report that I was hugely wrong! I loved every inch of this book! I was captivated right from the beginning and just couldn't put it down until it was finished. The book is basically three stories following different people on the same Amish colony. It gives us a bit of a glimpse into their lives, traditions and why they do things they way they do it. The first section follows a young Amish woman who was hurt by a boy she cared for, but never let go of the hurt. When he is suddenly thrust back into her life she has to try and find a way to forgive him. The second book is about a widowed mother who's first love left with out really saying why and years after her husband passed away, he suddenly returns. She is forced to find forgiveness for him and possibly allow him back in her life. the third story is about a young Amish couple who a year previously lost their baby through a miscarriage. We follow them and their healing from that. God works in their lives to bring them to a place of comfort and peace.
The only complaint that I have about this book is that it wasn't longer! At the end of each story I was left wondering what ever happened to all of them and wanting there to be another book. It is well written and with fingers crossed I"m hoping for a sequel!

No comments:

Post a Comment