Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Secrets to parenting your adult child

Secrets to parenting your adult child, by Nancy Williams. In this self help book Nancy Williams takes a look at the role of parents of adult children. They've spent years parenting these children, helping them to build the knowledge of how to make good choices. Now all the sudden they're grown up and the parenting role has changed! So what do they do? Do they get involved? Give advice? Point them in the direction that the parents think their child should go? Nancy williams looks at all this and more. Its important to maintain that relationship with your child, but parents of adult children need to realize that their role as parents has also chnaged. They need to allow their children to make their own choices and face their own consequences! They need to be there for advice when they're turned to for advice. But a part of raising your children is when they get to that age where they are now adults you have to trust them and yourself that they've got the foundations they needed to be an adult.
    I am a mom to small children ages 4 and 7, so I didn't think this book would be very applicable to me lol. But I sat down to read it anyway, and I'm happy to report that I was wrong! While it hasn't helped me with my children yet, it has definately given me insight in what I need to be teaching them and how to raise them. Its also helped me understand my mother's role now and how she must be feeling. and in that way I am greatful that I did read this book! I highly recommend this book to any parents of adult children, as well as to those looking to understand their mothers better!!

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.
Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group

No comments:

Post a Comment